One of the most useful and exciting ways a couple can strengthen their relationship is to set aside time together for a Marriage Preparation Seminar. This encourages the couple to examine, together, the issues they will encounter in their life together.
The Marriage Preparation Seminars presented by the United Church of Canada are designed to build on the abilities and gifts that couples are bringing to their marriage. We provide helpful information and teach new skills for a successful marriage.
While we offer two different seminars, we are an affirming church and all couples are welcome to attend the seminar of their choice.
The seminars are presented from a Christian perspective, respectful of all faiths.
It is our hope that the time you share together in these seminars will be helpful and uplifting and that the materials provided will be an ongoing resource.
Both Seminars follow essentially the same outline. Couples will have the opportunity to explore basic topics such as:
- Meaning of Marriage
- Family of Origins
- Understanding Us
- Personal Values
- Intimacy and Sexuality
- Future Directions
Practice interactive skills such as:
- Conflict Styles and Resolving Conflict
- Phases of Coming-Out (Same-Sex Couples, only)
The Seminars are 7.5 hours long and follow these basic guidelines:
- Begin and end on time
- Confidentiality maintained
- The right to pass on any topic and/or activity
- The rights and beliefs of all participants are respected
- Be open to new ideas and personally evaluate their relevance
- Focus on personal goals and issues, not those of others
- The Word of God provides guidance and wisdom for today and for the future
- Fun is OK!